The Playwrights Realm
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Thank you for your interest in The Playwrights Realm and our open submission programs!
Submissions are currently open and will close on Sunday, February 2, 2020 at 11:59PM EST.
General application requirements:
- Online application - short-answer questions (Click here to see application question details)
- A theatrical résumé. (PDF format. Bios will not be accepted in lieu of résumé)
- A complete draft of the play you wish to develop, with your name and play title on a cover page (PDF format)
- Music samples, if applicable. (Scratchpad Series only)
- OPTIONAL professional reference or letter of recommendation.
Please carefully read program requirements below, then select the application form that corresponds to your interest.
Apply for the Writing Fellowship ONLY
To apply for the Writing Fellowship you must:
- Be able to attend meetings and events in New York City approximately twice monthly from September, 2020, through early June, 2021.
- Have a script that would benefit from a nine-month, intensive development process.
- Note that musicals and one-person shows are not eligible for the Writing Fellowship.
Apply for Scratchpad Series ONLY
To apply for Scratchpad Series you must:
- Have a script that would benefit from dramaturgical conversation with The Realm and a 15-hour developmental reading process. (Plays can be anything from a rough first draft to a play that is close to production-ready.)
- Be able to be present in New York City for a reading process of between 3-6 days, at a time agreed upon by both you and The Realm.
Please review complete Scratchpad Series eligibility requirements and FAQ HERE
Apply to BOTH programs simultaneously
To use the dual application form you must:
- Be able to attend Writing Fellowship meetings and events in New York City approximately twice monthly from September, 2020, through early June, 2021. If this is not the case please apply to Scratchpad Series only.
- Be able to be present in New York City for the duration of a Scratchpad Series process of between 3-6 days, at a time agreed upon by both you and The Realm.
- Note that musicals and one-person shows are not eligible for the Writing Fellowship. If you are submitting a musical please apply to Scratchpad Series only.
- Understand that you are applying to both programs with a single script.
For general overview information and FAQ click HERE
Please select the ONE application form below which you will use to apply.
To access an application form you will be asked to create a secure User ID and log in. This will enable you to save drafts as you work and verify that your application has been received.