The Playwrights Realm
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Thank you for your interest in The Playwrights Realm and our open submission programs, Writing Fellowship and Scratchpad Series! This web portal will let you apply to one or both programs simultaneously.
Please carefully read program details below, then select the ONE application form corresponding to your interest.
Applicants will submit:
- Online application (short-answer questionnaire)
- Theatrical résumé (uploadable PDF)
- Complete draft of the play that you wish to develop, with your name and the play title on a cover page. (uploadable PDF)
- Music samples (if applicable)
- A professional reference and/or contact information (optional)
Applications must be submitted by February 13th, 2023, at 12:00PM EST.
Writing Fellowship ONLY
The Writing Fellowship is at the heart of what we do: helping writers write. Four early-career playwrights receive nine months of resources, readings and feedback designed to help them reach their professional and artistic goals. The culminating event of the program is our INK’D Festival, which features public readings of each Fellows’ play. To be eligible you must:
- Live within commuting distance to Midtown Manhattan, and be able to make it to regular evening writers meetings, rehearsals, and events.
- Have a script that would benefit from a nine-month, intensive development
Scratchpad Series ONLY
Scratchpad Series jumpstarts The Realm’s relationship with early-career playwrights from around the country. Participants will spend a week in New York City for a developmental reading of their play with top-notch professional collaborators—director, cast, and The Realm’s artistic staff. If the playwright is based outside of New York, The Realm will provide travel and housing or per diem. To be eligible you must:
- Have a script that would benefit from dramaturgical conversation with The Realm and 15-hour developmental reading process reading. (Plays can be anything from a rough first draft to a play that is close to production-ready.)
- Be able to be present in New York City for a process of between 3-6 days, at a time agreed upon by both you and The Realm.
Apply to BOTH programs
Please be prepared to discuss how you think your script could benefit from the two different opportunities these distinct programs offer. To use this form you must:
1) Live within commuting distance to Midtown Manhattan, and be able to make it to regular evening writers meetings, rehearsals, and events.
2) Understand that you are applying to both programs with a single script. We accept just one play, per playwright, per season.
To access the application form you will either log into your submittable account, or if you don’t have an account already, create a secure User ID and log in for submittable. This will enable you to save drafts as you work and verify that your application has been received.